A digital strategy focuses on using technology to improve business performance, whether that means creating new products or reimagining current processes. As with all corporate strategies, it requires strong leadership to succeed.
Which is why before embarking on any digital strategy the company should ensure that it has an executive sponsor in place. An executive sponsor is responsible for ensuring buy-in from executive management, and that all modifications fit into the larger strategic plan for the business. Therefore, management must be confident that the executive sponsor will make good choices and involve them in important matters.
If management can’t envision how the strategy will aid them in getting their work done and meeting their performance goals, they will see little point in supporting or funding the initiative. Conversely the executive sponsor must also be able to effectively communicate the strategy to technology vendors so as to achieve the desires outcomes.
The ideal executive sponsor:
- Has authority over the affected processes.
- Understands how the processes impact the company.
- Is able to remove internal political obstacles.
- Can secure funding and resources.
- Is personally motivated by the business need behind the strategy.
- Will advertise the project’s success on completion.
In addition to an executive sponsor, process owners are also vital to the success of a digital project. Process owners are responsible for the management of the current approach and will ultimately be responsible for managing the improved methods.
The ideal process owner:
- Has first-hand experience, as they execute the current processes.
- Understands industry best practices and can communicate those insights.
- Feels the pain of the current poorly functioning processes and will benefit from the improvements.
- Will challenge policy and practices.
- Has the aptitude for process thinking and improvement.
- Is accountable for the processes.
- Champions continuous process improvement.
Identify these key members first and your digital strategy is bound to run more smoothly.
Private and public institutes around the world trust FlowCentric Technologies to help them deliver on their digital strategies.
We’d love to assist you in your digital success.